[squeak-dev] 64bit or 32bit VM

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Nov 12 01:12:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 04:22:16PM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 5:59 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 05:53:54PM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
> >> I was building the latest svn VM, out of the box, on a Linux 64bit
> >> machine, and while it made, it doesn't work when calling plugins (it
> >> segfaults). Could this because I built it, by default, on 64bit? If
> >> so, is there a way to set the compile to 32bit? I didn't see a setting
> >> for 32bit wide in.configure. Perhaps it's a --build=BUILD option?
> >
> > You will need to use a recent VMMaker with all of the 32/64 bit clean
> > patches applied. You can get this from the squeaksource.com project.
> > Some of the VMMaker versions on SqueakMap/Universes are probably not
> > up to date in this respect.
>
> Ok. I dnl'd VMMaker-dtl.106.mcz from SqeakSource. Using Monticello to
> load it, I get a warning that FFIPlugin and KlattResonatorIndices
> needs to load first to use specific these plugins.
>
> I look on SqueakSource for FFIPlugin but don't find it. I look in
> Unverses, but I can't find out how to find a package in Universes.
> Seems nicely categorized, but i haven't a clue how to search for a
> package.
> But I do find FFI v3.9 on SqueakMap. I install that. Hopefully, it's
> the right version... but, there is no indication to what version I
> need when I tried to install VMMaker.
>
> I can't find KlattResonatorIndices anywhere. Where can I find that?
> Maybe I could go on since I'm not interested in the KlattSynthesizer,
> but, I'd hate to do that.

I think that if you load (any version of) VMMaker from Universes, it
will take care of the dependencies. You can then update VMMaker from the
SqueakSource project that I mentioned, and the result should get you up
to date. IIRC, the "Klatt" dependencies refer to the "Speech" package
the you can find on SqueakMap also. Specific versions of FFI and Klatt
are not important with respect to VMMaker.

> BTW, it's HARD to find packages to install in Squeak ( I know, I'm not
> bearer of new news). Packages are in one or many places and with
> different versions in different places. It's hard to tell where to go
> Why don't we settle on one place for every package and use one method
> (can have many tools, but one method) to download packages and their
> dependencies? I guess, that's a general question to everyone. Seems
> like a no-brainer.

Yup, everybody agrees with you. SqueakMap does a nice job of keeping
track of everything, Universes is the equivalent of a distro, some
further integration of these would be nice, and it's a lot of work to
keep it up to date. Emphasis on "it's a lot of work."

Dave