[squeak-dev] ANN Rio now supports ftp

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 22:36:21 UTC 2008

Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Keith Hodges wrote:
>> Claus Kick wrote:

>>> Visual Smalltalk uses both Directory and File.
>>>
>> Now there's a shame
>>> VW seems to treat Files and Directories like Java does.
>> which is ?
>
> Keith, you can look at Sport package and its SpFilename which is,
> well, almost complete copy of VW's Filename, yet much simpler than
> current Squeak offerings. SpFilename deals with both files and
> directories.
I am not sure what you want me to get from looking at Sport. I can see
that it is relatively simple. Sport is like Fileman in that it is a
layer on top of squeak's FileDirectory. This differs from Rio in that
Rio operates directly to the primitives.

So I think Rio could perhaps deserve to use class names "File" and
"Directory", but  portability could be an issue.

Rio's goals, inspired by Rio from Ruby.

1. Ground up replacement for the much hated (by me) FileDirectory (i.e.
works at the primitive level)
2. Identical Remote / Local api
3. Handle recursive directory traversing, and interact nicely in collections
4. Identical compressed/uncompressed api
5. Treat a zip archive like a filesystem with the same api.

Does VW have "File" or does it have "Filename" I am confused.
> SpFilename is not perfect
The plan for Rio was to see if it could be an ideal solution for Squeak.

The next question is how portable can it be.

Keith

> , but from seeing most of Smalltalks and their file handling it is
> IMHO still the best.
but you are biased, as am I ;-)