[squeak-dev] Latest Linux Ditro on ftp.squeak.org - minimal plugins provided. Why?

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 22:03:12 UTC 2008

Why does the latest Squeak for Linux:
http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/unix-linux/Squeak-3.10-1.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
contain minimal plugins? The only plugins included are:

PseudoTTYPlugin
Squeak3D
UnixOSProcessPlugin
VideoForLinuxPlugin
vm-display-fbdev
vm-display-null
vm-display-X11
vm-sound-null
XDisplayControlPlugin

Important plugins like Alsa are missing. Sound should at least me
there, in my biased opinion.
When I compile the source, I get the following plugins installed
(which don't work yet, since I'm still trying to figure out 64bit):

AioPlugin
B3DAcceleratorPlugin
ClipboardExtendedPlugin
DBusPlugin
FileCopyPlugin
GStreamerPlugin
ImmX11Plugin
KedamaPlugin
KedamaPlugin2
MIDIPlugin
PseudoTTYPlugin
RomePlugin
Squeak3D
UnixOSProcessPlugin
UUIDPlugin
VideoForLinuxPlugin
vm-display-fbdev
vm-display-null
vm-display-X11
vm-sound-ALSA
vm-sound-null
vm-sound-OSS
XDisplayControlPlugin

Is there a location that supplies the binary plugins for x86?
Are plugins not provided because of a general belief that the VM
should be distributed per distro? Or why?
It would be nice if people coming to the squeak site could obtain a
full Linux version when they select the Linux download and not hunt
around for a Squeak that isn't complete. (like, NO sound.)

--
Brad Fuller