[squeak-dev] Re: Accessing files over windows network when running squeak as a service

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Fri Nov 14 17:05:52 UTC 2008

Hi John,

on Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:36:33 +0100, you wrote:

> Hello list,
>

> Does anyone know how we can access a network directory when running as a
> Windows Service on Win2k3 server?

[OT]This is really not a good idea, to access another server's directory
 from a service :( The reason is that you need to provide a password in
*clear*text* and that is visible resp. must be possible to maintain ...

[OT]Of course some customers demand that and ours are not exception.

What we do here (on win2k0 and 2k3) is to have a small startup.cmd in the
file system root, where the administrator can maintain it (we are not
always on-site) and restrict access to it.

In that .cmd file a drive letter is associated with the other server's
file share, and then startup.cmd is processed at system-statup time (run
msconfig.exe if you need to see where and how). Then you can access the
other server's directories and files using the new drive letter (drive
letters work with Squeak on windoze).

On a command line type "net help use" for syntax and options.

HTH

/Klaus

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein