[squeak-dev] Using Mac OS vm from the command line

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Nov 17 06:23:46 UTC 2008

Ok, Keith had reported the issue below about opening the image from
the cmd line, and where is the current working directory anyway?

I had made a change to the mac carbon VM to avoid changing the current
working directory as part of the 3.8.19beta2U release.

Then Keith reported the image did opened, but it did not respond to
the mouse or clicking.

In checking to see what the problem is I determined it's related to
the use of the symbolic link, this confuses the carbon/cocoa bundler
manager so that when you ask for the main bundle and fetch the data
from the XML info.plist file, it can't find the info.plist

Normally argv[0] would be ./MySqueak.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak VM Opt,
but the symbolic link makes it ./squeak and apparently GetMainBundle
relies on argv[0] and decides it's not a proper bundle, however to
play nice it makes a fake one, which later we query for information
and find nothing.

Now over the years as the info.plist has grown in most cases we
provided an default value if we couldn't find the data, but it seems
when we changed the mouse mapping a few years back to solve issues
with mouse/cmd key mappings between native squeak and squeak from the
browser we managed to *forget* adding defaults, which default to zero
which mean mouse clicks aren't recorded.

I could add a table of default values, but I'm afraid that would hide
the fact the info.plist is not being read and drive someone else quite
crazy as they've change the info.plist, but it's being ignored...
Certainly for now the fact it doesn't work becomes obvious right away.

So I'll suggest some shell scripting could be used to do the right
thing.

--
=
=