[squeak-dev] problems with web server config for www.squeaksource.com

Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. woods at planix.ca
Sun Nov 16 19:43:57 UTC 2008

I get a download error for "DNS Client" when I try to install it using
the "Package Universe Browser" in 3.10.2 update 7179.

The package tries to install from http://www.squeaksource.com/
dnsclient and the home page there says to report problems to this
list.  I'm not currently subscribed, but I probably should be.

The download fails with an error box opening that says:

	Could not resolve the server named:
	Retry
	Give Up

Also the Package Universe Browser doesn't let me de-select a package
for install without closing it and starting all over with selecting
everything I want again, which is very annoying.  However selecting
version 1.0 of DNS Client works because that one has a valid URL.

An example of what's wrong with the web server on www.squeaksource.com
can perhaps be better seen from this debugging transcript:

$ ftp -dv http://www.squeaksource.com/dnsclient
parse_url: user `<null>' pass `<null>' host www.squeaksource.com port
http(80) path `/dnsclient'
savefile `dnsclient'
Requesting http://www.squeaksource.com/dnsclient
received `HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily'
received `Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:09:49 GMT'
received `Server: Comanche/6.2 (unix)'
received `Cache-Control: max-age=60'
received `Expires: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:10:49 GMT'
received `X-Code-Repository: SqueakSource'
received `Location: /dnsclient/'
parsed location as `/dnsclient/'
received `Content-type: text/html'
received `Content-length: 20'
parsed len as: 20
received `X-Cache: MISS from www.squeaksource.com'
received `Connection: close'
Redirected to /dnsclient/
ftp: /dnsclient/: No address associated with hostname
ftp: Can't connect or login to host `/dnsclient/'

That's obviously not a valid "Location:" header being generated by the
web server there.

(of course this could also be solved by always using the proper fully
qualified URLs in the package browser data too -- the trailing slash
is necessary for a directory!)

Now I'm getting "PluggableTextMorph(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
#hideScrollBarIndefinitely" while trying to load FractalMorph -- guess
there's a dependency missing....

Something else I'm installing tries to open an MVC window....

Now I've got a "Download Failed" window for 'Monticello15-Bootstrap'
version: 1.5.477

Apparently It's looking for a file called 'Monticello-kph-477.st' in
the temp downloadDir and sure enough it's not there.  That would of
course be because the file isn't on the server any more either:

$ ftp http://installer.pbwiki.com/f/Monticello-kph-477.st
Trying 208.96.32.2...
Requesting http://installer.pbwiki.com/f/Monticello-kph-477.st
ftp: Error retrieving file - `404 Not Found'

Come on guys!  Can't we test releases better and then keep things
stable for a while?!?!?!?

--
					Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
					<woods at planix.ca>