[squeak-dev] Re: Mouse mapping preference in win32 squeak VM

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 18:05:28 UTC 2008

2008/11/18 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
>> What you think?
>
> You description of the VM behavior is correct. And it could certainly be
> moved into the image if that were desirable[*]. It's more a matter of
> creating a synchronized release (i.e., one where both the preference is on
> in the image and off in the VM to preserve current functionality) after
> which this code could be safely removed.

I'm currently putting things together in a HostWindowPlugin rewrite.
The main goal is to make windowing & events optional and separated
from core VM functionality by putting all of them into new plugin.
There will be no default host window at your disposal, unless you
asking directly for it.
So, i'm concerned about making event recording more clean, preserving
most current functionality, but without obsolete stuff.

It will break some compatibility, for sure. But in the end, i hope, it
will bring more benefits than losses:
- an image could decide itself whether be headless or not
- host windows can be created with variety of different attributes (
like having titlebar/close button/border or not).

> [*] I'm not completely sure of that. It does create quite a bit of mess in a
> fairly critical piece of code.

Yes, considering that event handling in image is already quite a mess,
which makes the whole thing screaming: please, rewrite me! :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.