[squeak-dev] leadership team meeting notes for 2008-11-19

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Wed Nov 19 20:19:52 UTC 2008

Hi--

-    Full attendance: Bert, Craig, Edgar, Giovanni, Igor, Randal, and
      Yoshiki.

-    Yoshiki contacted Matthew Fulmer and Keith Hodges about Squeak 4
      (see [1] for a recap of the next planned releases as discussed at
      the last meeting). No activity yet.

-    Craig said he's got Spoon's remote class browsers working with
      Naiad (the module system, see the design at [2]). He now has a
      headless minimal memory which can use a headful history memory
      (instead of changes/sources files, with the history features
      mentioned in the Naiad design), browsable from a GUI memory. He's
      now creating a headless history memory, to go with the minimal
      memory as the next release of Spoon, 5 alpha 1 (roughly, "not the
      whole Naiad design, but enough so that multiple people can work on
      it"). Estimated release date is solstice (2008-12-21). In the
      meantime, he would very much like feedback on the Naiad design.

-    Randal says there's been no progress mentioned by the web team,
      since the last meeting, in setting up a "captcha" system for
      community communication with the leadership team via web mail. He
      says he'll take the lead on implementing it. In the meantime,
      please send agenda item suggestions to Craig.

-    Bert says Marcus would like to pass responsibility for the Squeak
      project servers' bills from Squeak e.V. to the nascent Squeak
      project organization. While we will eventually pay Squeak's bills
      from our Software Freedom Conservancy account (after we've joined,
      after we have the license-clean release 4), Craig said he'd pay the
      server bills in the meantime from money we set aside when we were
      going to incorporate independently (USD 2000 in a PayPal account of
      Craig's).

      Giovanni said he also holds Squeak project funds from the Google
      Summer of Code program. Craig suggested that anyone holding Squeak
      project money keep it until we have an SFC account, unless they
      don't want to, in which case he volunteered to aggregate it in
      the aforementioned PayPal account.

      thanks again,

-C

[1]

      From the 2008-10-15 meeting:

-    Yoshiki says he's created a license-clean EToys 4.0 image based on
      Squeak 3.8. We decided to use a similar process to create Squeak 4
      from Squeak 3.11 (and whatever other license-clean changes the 3.11
      release team, currently Matthew Fulmer and Keith Hodges, wants to
      include). Yoshiki will consult with them about ensuring
      license-cleanliness. Randal will coordinate with the release team
      and report on their progress.

-    We decided in principle to have two board-appointed release teams
      working at any given moment: one producing the next release (I'll
      call it "one-ahead"), and one producing the release after that
      ("two-ahead"). We decided that Spoon is the two-ahead release now,
      or Squeak 5. Craig is leading the two-ahead team, and will add
      people to it when Naiad can support their work.

[2]  http://netjam.org/spoon/naiad