[squeak-dev] what is holding back Smalltalk?

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 01:35:59 UTC 2008

I'm pretty "new" in my abilities, but I have found a TERRIFIC product
written in VisualWorks thanks to networking with all you Smalltalk-y people.
 We are working to develop a data collection and reporting tool in a
healthcare environment using this system that already existed and was
designed specifically to be able to bring together "fragments" of
information from multiple sources of data through conflict resolution rules,
etc... into a single "Object Model" (set of classes).

Anyway...what I am doing is another topic--but it IS the back story for the
following tale.

Because we are "developing" something together, and it is "Smalltalk" (even
though it's not, but because I found it by EXPLORING Smalltalk, it's
"branded"), one of our Board Members (a former programmer) is extremely
leery.

In his words, he is "extremely prejudiced" against Smalltalk, even though he
used it during a big project "back in the day."  He calls it a "quirky,
unusual" language that you can do "great and powerful things" with.  The
"Father of real object oriented programming," but only a "niche" language
that small groups of bright people use to go of and accomplish amazing
things with.  But, because the business is full of "ordinary" people, he
thinks you would never be able to find anyone to work with the code you have
written as a business when your Smalltalk developers leave for other
pursuits.

Hence, he suggests that I look to other development environments such as
Java Beans or Eclipse!

All this, and we won't even be "programming," but using a "meta-programming"
environment designed SPECIFICALLY to solve the KIND of problem we have (how
lucky was that?).  Sure, it's got Smalltalk at it's core, and yes, you can
drop down into Smalltalk when you need to, but...yeesh....

Just thought you'd like an anecdotal tale of the feelings that are out there
as of a few days ago!

Rob