[squeak-dev] Re: Assignment vs binary selector

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Fri Nov 21 11:39:07 UTC 2008

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> One more thing which i discovered in current parser:
>
> #$A inspect
>
> returns a character, not symbol. Is this correct to the syntaxt rules?

It should be a syntax error, period.  Like

> a :== 5

should.

One idea I was toying with was to allow . in binary selectors, except
for the special #. of course; this goes along with the idea of
considering . to be a statement terminator only if not followed by
whitespace (avoiding the unintuitive behavior of {1.0.2.0}).  For example,

1..5 do: [ :i | Transcript show: i ]

Paolo