[squeak-dev] what is holding back Smalltalk?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 12:51:06 UTC 2008

I am very newbie with smalltalk, but I have some thoughts about this
question.

- Markting (someone has already say it)
- Lack of investment (someone has already say it)
- Smalltalk is simple. And, as It says a friend of mine, simplest things
doesn't sell. It might be complex. Complex things are the most sold.
- Companies needs to spend many and spent their budgets
- Databases support. Squeak for example, how can be used in many enterprise
projects if there is only driver for mysql and postgres ? and Glorp only
with postgres... We did a survey and they are just the 20% of the market (we
need support for oracle, mssql, and so on.). Because of this, we are working
in SqueakDBX.
- IDE. It has a lot of good things, but also a lot of limitations. I am very
use to use  Eclipse. And sometime to miss some features about it.
- There is no company (in squeak) behind it. Managers, owners, directors,
and so on, many times need this. They need it in order to have someone to
blame in case of problems.

cheers,

Mariano