[squeak-dev] Re: what is holding back Smalltalk?

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:02:37 UTC 2008

Randal L. Schwartz escreveu:
> I presume by "these sorts of responses" you mean Paolo's response to me. My
> response is driven by my responsibility as being an elected member of the
> leadership team, to ensure that Squeak 4.0 will have a completely clean
> license. We worked very hard over the last few years to track down every
> contribution to squeak since its beginning, obtaining legal documents updating
> the license, and it would be a shame if a mistakenly derived work from GNU
> Smalltalk were to taint the distribution once again.
>
> I'm serious about this, and will continue to bring it up in every appropriate
> context. I wish this weren't the case: I pleaded with Paolo to dual license
> the Smalltalk code in GNU Smalltalk under the MIT license so that people can
> freely examine the implementation and use as is or derive from it to
> contribute to the squeak project. So far, these requests have been declined,
> albeit understandably.

Hello Randall,

Sorry if this question bother you, but I'm not expert in legal issues
and I'm used to work with GPL and LGPL software.

I understand that Squeak was first issued under Apple licensing system.
Then, last year it was decided to migrate everything to the MIT license.
But for people not acquainted with licensing systems, the differences
may not clear. What are the incompatibilities between MIT licenses and
GPL/LGPL licenses?

Best regards,

Casimiro