[squeak-dev] Nothing much [was: what is holding back Smalltalk?]

Alejandro F. Reimondo aleReimondo at smalltalking.net
Sat Nov 22 00:40:45 UTC 2008

>I agree and find the "us" vs "them" attitude to be unhealthy.
> One should be able to define oneself without comparison to others.

One better attitude is to consider complementary and not "vs."
 e.g. the comparation is not valid.

There is not right/wrong answers when
 the question is incorrect.

Smalltalkers do not need to answer why we has had our history
 to people that do not have a history yet.

Each time we compare smalltalk to new formulas (new languages,
 new platforms, new ooxxx++ -now more object oriented- )
 we loose our small resources trying to reformulate
 our peculiarities to be something we are not.

Why do not try to invest our time and efforts
 in the undeveloped direction of Object Technology
 (a la smalltalk) ? as was proposed at first years
 of Squeak project.

We are too near the sea because we are making
 the smalltalk globe go down.

Focusing the on the peculiarities of smalltalk way (not the
 tools, nor the environment, nor it contents, but the activities
 smalltalk make possible) can be more valuable and will
 make people reflect about what they are really doing when
 they write "the same" in other syntax...

Each time we compare, we loose.
Each time we put ourselves in front of another
 alternative (for others) we loose.

IMHO, it is better to feel "complementary to
 the normal people"; e.g. preserve our personality
 (a model we built/grow with smalltalk, not only a POV).
As any complement we do not compete with other
 proposals for "system" development (I must say here
 system definition).
Smalltalk IS marginal, and it is a lot of oportunities at the
 margins in this "empty world" [*].

have fun, and preserve our way,
Ale.

[*] As a by product of OO method, any de-composition
 of the world produce more vacum (uncertanty) that definitions.