[squeak-dev] Re: what is holding back Smalltalk?

Antony Blakey antony.blakey at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 04:31:35 UTC 2008

On 22/11/2008, at 2:41 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> As someone said: nobody pays a license fee to the architect who
> designed the building each time someone entering it.

In fact, you pay an architect for a design each time you build it. You
can't reuse an architect's design without paying for it, or
negotiating a license. The fact that you live in a house designed by
an architect gives you no rights to the design.

> So why we should
> pay a software architect for each copy of his software?

You first need to prove the applicability of this analogy. And in any
case, given my comment above, I think this proves the opposite of what
you intend.

> People should
> be paid for things they do, not for mass-produced copies of their
> creation.

You would need to provide supporting argument for this assertion to be
evaluated.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Some defeats are instalments to victory.
   -- Jacob Riis