[squeak-dev] Re: what is holding back Smalltalk?

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Sat Nov 22 09:19:08 UTC 2008

>> I presume by "these sorts of responses" you mean Paolo's response to
>> me. My response is driven by my responsibility as being an elected member
>> of the leadership team, to ensure that Squeak 4.0 will have a completely
>> clean license. We worked very hard over the last few years to track down
>> every contribution to squeak since its beginning, obtaining legal documents
>> updating the license, and it would be a shame if a mistakenly derived work
>> from GNU Smalltalk were to taint the distribution once again.

Note that if (*if*) this were to happen, I would consider relicensing
the wrong pieces on a case-by-case basis to MIT.

Another point (and a follow up on the "return class variable Blue") is
that the very fact of having created a class variable Blue whose value
is (Color red: 0 green: 0 blue: 1) might be construed as owning
copyright on part of the image.  You are so proud of living in a world
of objects, and then restrict yourselves to old fashioned source code
when it is better to do so...  So face it, Squeak's image will never be
clean.

Paolo