[squeak-dev] smalltalk and Web stuff

Gerardo Richarte gera at corest.com
Mon Nov 24 01:47:42 UTC 2008

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Isn't there simple utils in unixes, which can simply redirect one port
> to another?

    Yes, that's an option that I thought of too, in fact, iptables will
do the trick on Linux. However, you have to be careful here,
because if the weapp thinks it's base URL is http://something:8000/
and it's public address is actually http://something/ there may be
some desintelligences. Not that it can't be solved.
> In particular, i don't see how apache is more secure than squeam vm.
> Security more depends on what you running as front end (framework in
> smalltalk , module in apache) not the basement.

well... it just is :) years of auditing, security in the mind of most
developers in the team, dozens of bugs found and fixed, weak
points in squeak (I'm not really talking of the VM, I'm putting
the emphasis first in vulnerable Smalltalk code, and only then
in native code (vm, plugins, external libraries, etc).

    richie