[squeak-dev] Re: Bug in 3.10.2 - browser / moving classes

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 02:18:28 UTC 2008

[squeak-dev] Bug in 3.10.2 - browser / moving classes

Hi Tim,

***
>Mr. Timothy C. Johnson tjohnson at iwu.edu
>Sun Nov 23 21:46:26 UTC 2008
>
>Hi,
>
>I had two browser windows open (standard 3.10.2 default browsers).

?? Full browsers of Hierarchical browsers??

The reason I ask is that there is a known problem with the later
 which will sometimes confuse the browser.
I usually see it when creating a new class.
You may have found a new way to bump into it.

>They were both open to the same class category.  In one browser, I
>moved a number of methods out of that category into another one (via
>drag-and-drop).  After moving about 5 or 6 methods, I got an error:
>subscript out of bounds, in World.  I selected "proceed" and I looked
>over at the other browser (the one in which I hadn't made any changes),
>and its classes list pane had become an invalid rectangle (a red
>rectangle with a yellow X inside).  Browsing to other categories in the
>troubled browser does not restore the class category pane to operation.

Invalid drawing panes "latch up".
To fix them it is necessary to not only fix the underlying problem
 but to release the latch via:
the red menu>debug>start drawing again.

For browsers it almost always easier to just start fresh.

> A new browser is fine.
>
>Using 3.10.2 on latest Mac PPC VM.

If you are willing to put some effort into getting this tracked and fixed,
please add a report to mantis
 describing a way to from a fresh start reproduce the problem.
Enough specifics to reliably reproduce the problem
 is a starting point for others to explore and play with it.

Here are the FAQs:

FAQ: Is this a known issue ? Where is the place to report bugs (or check if
some have already been raised) ?

The best place for this info would be to start a
Mantis report. (You can get a mantis acct freely and
easily).

A good place to start is:

http://bugs.squeak.org/my_view_page.php

Mantis provides a patient persistent way to focus on an issue.
I use it to accumulate data on a problem until a solution can be found.
It provides a place to alert the community to a problem;
-accumulate facts and clues from the analysis;
-publish preposed solutions and get feedback;
-get solutions harvested and included into the main stream.

This FAQ is available at the Squeak wiki site.
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/Mantis%20FAQ%20and%20Tips
aka:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5912
Mantis FAQ and Tips