[squeak-dev] stability of Web Frameworks?

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue Nov 25 10:18:57 UTC 2008

Hi!

Friedrich wrote:
> Ok, in the follow line to Smalltalk and Web. I wonder what experiences
> there are with the stability of Web Framweworks from the viewpoint of
> a user of this Frameworks. Let's ask it the otherway.
>
> if I have some Seaside 2.3 and upgrade to 2.8 (somehow) will it break
> my old applications?

We/I started developing Gjallar in january 2006 (not sure which version
of Seaside was current at the time) and development has continued since
- in different bursts. Gjallar is a relatively large Seaside app, about
90 subclasses of WAComponent. We use Scriptaculous, but not pervasively.

We just recently moved up to the latest and greatest (from 3.8 to 3.10.2
and using latest 2.8) and over this period I must say that sure, some
things here and there broke (but the changes were probably documented)
but fixes were quite easy and it was nothing really problematic.

regards, Göran