How to do logging (was Re: [squeak-dev] Files documentation)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue Nov 25 10:21:42 UTC 2008

Hi!

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> ok. If you say so, I will try it as soon as I have time and I will let
> you know my feedback and any question I have with it.

I recommend (of course) using "SimpleLog", and optionally with the
"Logging" frontend from Keith.

SimpleLog was developed in the Gjallar project and it has the following
goodness:

- Simple. :)
- Uses the standard syslog levels.
- Has a UDP based syslog backend. Fast and very useful.
- Has a Morphic viewer which is quite nice and has filtering abilities.
- Has log file rotation.
- Can still log to Transcript but it is protected by a mutex.

If you need to use external monitoring/alarm tools and/or suddenly need
to deploy an app "clustered" then the syslog backend is very nice to
have. Otherwise you end up with one log file per "clustered image" which
is not so nice.

If you use the "Logging" frontend (which I haven't used myself) then you
of course have options to choose backends.

regards, Göran