[squeak-dev] Re: Instance variable access in superclasses.

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Nov 25 23:48:59 UTC 2008

Joshua Gargus wrote:
> Craig Latta wrote:
>>> What would people's reaction be if a class was prevented from being
>>> able to directly access its superclass's instance variables?
>>      "This is insane." :)
>
> "I hope you have a good inlining JIT"  :-p

It's neither insane nor is an inlining JIT is a strict necessity. Tweak
for example uses property dictionaries throughout and although it's
slower than I'd like it to be it's certainly acceptable for most
situations. Also, doesn't Newspeak use messages for *all* accessors?

I think most people would be surprised to see how acceptable the
practical behavior is on modern day machines. The boxes are so darn fast
it's not even funny...

Cheers,
   - Andreas