[squeak-dev] Kay's Little Blue Book, or, Let's Just Do It! (was Re: The Gospel of Alan)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Nov 26 23:20:39 UTC 2008

Ties Stuij wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 3:54 AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> > Going to the other extreme, where everyone's opinion is equally valid,
> > leads to situations like a guy explaining to me on comp.lang.lisp that
> > multiple dispatch is the most important feature of OOP and so CLOS and
> > C++ are true OO languages but Smalltalk is not.
> >
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_thread/thread/b2aa1842ccb7d7c/134456502780e63f?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=jecel#134456502780e63f
>
> I know I shouldn't react, but could you just dissect for me how Alan's
> post, either the one before or the one after the post of yourself you
> linked here, makes the point you're suggesting him to be making?
>
> Is it the 'I've no idea where I'm going with this.' part perhaps?

Sorry - I gave a link to the first result that was in the thread I was
remembering (this was three years ago, after all). The actual discussion
I was thinking of was between Pascal Costanza and Alan Crowe much closer
to the start of the thread (message 48 or so). My point was that
dicussions become harder when everyone's definitions are equally valid.
See the confusion around strong/weak/static/dynamic typing, for example.

-- Jecel