[squeak-dev] Pharo (was: Re: Squeak 4)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Oct 1 05:45:40 UTC 2008

Adrian Lienhard wrote:
> Pharo is based on Squeak 3.9, not 3.10.
> We don't re-implement the kernel, at least not for now. The current
> focus is on cleaning up and removing stuff we are not interested in
> (like toys), and providing a stable basis for professional use.

Can you say more about this? I had the impression that Pharo was mostly
a fork for the sake of Seaside (which is understandable given the
traction that Seaside has been getting). But is its goal more than that?
Does it include media-rich applications like eToys, Scratch, Sophie or
Qwaq Forums? I have been looking at the Pharo website but was mostly
disappointed with the collection of empty phrases ("better for the
better", "do not expect etoys to work") which promise everything but say
absolutely nothing. A more down-to-earth, plain approach might be
helpful if the goal is professional use. God knows that there is no
shortage of areas in Squeak that could use some professional attention:
 From database support, over enterprise integration, native graphics,
widgets up to m17n, namespace, modules, deployment, customization and
installation support. There are plenty of areas where some professional
attention could help. Is Pharo going to address any of these issues?
Seriously. You *can* be professional, by acting professionally. Take up
real issues that real products have in the real world.

Cheers,
   - Andreas