[squeak-dev] Building Squeak on (Open)Solaris

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Oct 2 11:31:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 02:25:54PM +1000, Boyd Adamson wrote:
> "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:57:09PM +1000, Boyd Adamson wrote:
> >>
> >> platforms/unix/src/plugins.int
> >> platforms/unix/src/plugins.ext
> >>
> >> have mac line endings (CR) out of the box, which causes the code in
> >> mkconfig to populate int_plugins and ext_plugins with empty
> >> strings. This was causing none of the plugins to be built.
> >
> > Aha. Well, actually those are Smalltalk line endings. The files you
> > are looking at are generated by VMMaker, which is using a CrLfFileStream
> > to write the files with what it hopes are the correct line terminators.
> > It does this by using a CrLfFileStream to do the writing, which is supposed
> > to be smart enough to convert the Smalltalk line terminators (CR) to
> > whatever is most likely to make sense on Solaris (LF).
>
> Except the catch is that I'm using the sources as they come from SVN (or
> tarball, same problem) since I don't have a working Solaris VM.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood (d'oh!). The plugins.int and plugins.ext in the
platforms/unix/src directory do have <cr> line endings, while the ones that
I get when generating them from VMMaker have the <cr> line endings. I suspect
(but don't know) that the files you are using were generated with an older
version of VMMaker, and that Tim may have fixed something in VMMaker since
that time.

Sorry for adding to the confusion.

> There may be something I'm missing. I've never built a VM before and I'm
> just following the instructions in:
>
> platforms/unix/doc/HowToBuildFromSource.txt
>
> Which basically just says "Run make or run configure; make; make
> install"

Generally that will work fine, although the configure process is rather
arcane and may do strange things on a platform that it has not seen before.

Dave