[squeak-dev] StartUpList and ShutDownList

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 00:41:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Mark Volkmann <mark at ociweb.com> wrote:

> Looking at the code in SystemDictionary, it seems that StartUpList and
> ShutDownList should be classes, but when I do a "find class..." it doesn't
> find them. Where are those and how can I find out what's in them?

They're "class pool variables", which are a sort of global variables. Look
at the definition of SystemDictionary:

 IdentityDictionary subclass: #SystemDictionary
    instanceVariableNames: 'cachedClassNames'
    classVariableNames: 'LastImageName LastQuitLogPosition LowSpaceProcess
LowSpaceSemaphore MemoryHogs ShutDownList SpecialSelectors StartUpList
StartupStamp SystemChanges'
    poolDictionaries: ''
    category: 'System-Support'

To see how they're used, click on the "Class variables" button in the
browser and select them. The most interesting use is in "SystemDictionary
class initialize".

To actually inspect their values, open up an object explorer on
"SystemDictionary" and navigate to "classPool".

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/