[squeak-dev] [ANN] Dependency Browser

Hernán Morales Durand hernan.morales at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 15:36:29 UTC 2008

2008/10/9 Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com>

> Cool, user interface.
>
> However, you do not detect two other important static dependencies:
>
> - Package A subclasses a class of package B.
> - Package A extends a class of package B.

Yes, I was aware of loose methods (I'm interpreting extends here means LM)
and hierarchy references, and my idea was to add an OBColumn next to the
code pane like

http://mail.wiresong.ca/pipermail/ob-dev/attachments/20080923/e19a0b11/attachment-0001.jpeg

but it seems OmniBrowser do not allow this easily (creating a new column in
a subclass of the traditional Standard Browser is even harder). You'll
notice if I'm succeded in the next version :)

> We are using a similar tool to package Seaside. Unfortunately it has
> no GUI, but we are using GraphViz zu visualize the dependencies [1].

That is the original idea. I have never tried GraphViz, but from the image
in the link I can see GraphViz is able to ensure disjointness between nodes
but the image looks confusing, tangled, from an user's perception view. It
seems like the layout adjustement algorithm were unable to preserve
symmetries from an input (or breaks down the topology for the sake of
preserving a proximity model).

Is there a link explaining how to use GraphVIz from Squeak? I presume if
graphs could be showed inside the Squeak image, the whole and details view
problem could be solved, achieving simultaneity and uniqueness (that means,
facilities like the fish-eye view enabling different magnification ratios).

> Have a look at Package-Dependencies in
> <http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/unsorted>. It automatically calculates
> cycles and is able to hide transitive dependencies. It would be
> interesting to extend it further to also take selectors into account,
> that are only implemented in a single package.

I will take a look at it.
Cheers.

Hernán