[squeak-dev] porting Squeak ... Java

Mark Volkmann mark at ociweb.com
Fri Oct 10 02:55:47 UTC 2008

I see there was a project named Talks2 that attempted to port
Smalltalk (maybe not Squeak) to the Java Virtual Machine (JVM). Does
anyone know if that project is still active?

Is there a web site that describes what is involved in creating new
ports? I understand most of Squeak is implemented in Smalltalk and
that only a small core needs to be ported in order for it to run on
new platforms.

Beyond getting Squeak to run on the JVM, another goal might be to
enable generation Java bytecode from Smalltalk classes. That would
make it possible to implement libraries using Smalltalk syntax that
can be used by Java developers. Another would be to come up with a way
to wrap Java libraries so they can be easily invoked from Smalltalk
code. Do these seem like unreasonable goals?

---
Mark Volkmann