[squeak-dev] [ANN] Monticello 2.0.25

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 10:32:20 UTC 2008

Hi Colin

Some problems with the latest version:

- I am following the "Bootstrapping" instructions in the
documentation: After loading Release-cwp.25 all the packages MC2-* and
Release are marked as dirty. In fact there are no changes.

- I have some instances of MDFileRepository that have all inst-vars
nil. On system startup I get a couple of debuggers because the system
tries to rescan these files. Doing MDFileRepository allInstances on
startup seems to be dangerous if there are thousands of instances, and
this won't work well on GemStone.

Some other thoughts:

- I wonder, if you thought about using MC2 as a replacement for the
changes-file? So every accept would commit the particular method to
the repository, and the versions view would connect to the server and
display all the versions of a particular element. When submitting the
package, a slice would be created of the already existing elements. I
think such a model would beautifully with MC2.

- I wonder how I can calculate the diff between two arbitrary
versions? This doesn't seem to be possible in the current GUI.

- I am confused about "Project Config Slice" and "Union Slice". Is it
correct that the "Project Config Slices" is like an "Union Slice", but
automatically includes all the slices of the project? Are there other
differences?

- And please, please, please ... get rid of those cryptic labels for
the elements. Nobody will ever even consider using it like that.

Cheers,
Lukas

PS: An early beta version of the Sourcetalk server will soon be put
online, so that people can give a try.

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch