[squeak-dev] Community Server Report

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed Oct 22 19:07:21 UTC 2008

Cross your fingers, with luck we should be good now.

For over a month we've had trouble with the community server locking up
and requiring a reboot.  On Friday Hetzner did some testing on the
server and, as I understand, traded out the RAM at least once (I believe
this has been done before as well).  From then on the server was up in
some sense, but not working properly.

Unfortunately we don't have weekend support so there was a delay.
Additionally there was some confusion that resulted in further delays.
On Tuesday Marcus Denker, our contact with Hetzner, convinced them to
hook up a 'virtual console' to the system which allowed us to see the
console output.  Cees de Groot and Goran Krampe were able to run some
tests that indicated that the RAM was bad.  This convinced Hetzner to
change the RAM again.  After this the server booted up and ran fine for
a few hours.

Then it went down again as it has for weeks now.  After the latest
trouble Hetzner was convinced to do more and took the hard drive from
the server and put it in another server with identical hardware.  And we
are up again.

Hopefully this takes care of us for a while.  But I think there are some
things we can learn from this event and I believe some changes need to
be made to how we manage the server.  I'm not sure what to do right now.
 But I'm thinking about it and sometime soon I would like to start a
discussion of the future of the server.

Ken