[squeak-dev] UTF8 - squeak

Katerina Barone-Adesi katerinab at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 20:39:31 UTC 2008

> Hi everybody! I am using Ubuntu 8.04, latin american keyboard, squeak 3.9
> vm, squeak 3.10.2 of Damien Cassou. The problem is that I cannot type
> symbols like: "á" , "ó", "ú" and so on....If I press the keys for those
> symbols I get "´a" "´o" and "´u" respectively. So, I guess it can be a
> problem with UTF8.
>
> Does some know how can I fix this? is there somewhere in the squeak image I
> have to set the encoder ?

Given that you get ´a, etc, I assume you're using deadkeys.  The only
way I know of to get deadkeys to work under Squeak is to use the OLPC
image; unfortunately, they don't appear to work in any of the
squeak.org images (3.9 or 3.10), or Damien Cassou's.  You can get it
from http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip .  I forget if
you need to use the OLPC vm too or not;
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys#Method_3_-_Install_RPMs_or_.deb.27s_.28Linux_Only.29
has instructions if just using the image with your current VM isn't
enough.

If you're not using deadkeys, the above should still work, but you
also have an alternative:  following the instructions at
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5773 .  The page focuses on Russian
support, but the image that results from following it also works for
Spanish.  If you really want to use something based on Damien Cassou's
image and don't need deadkeys, try this (and tell me if it works for
you, and if not, what's wrong); otherwise, the OLPC instructions above
should be easier.

I hope this helps.
Regards;
Katerina Barone-Adesi