[squeak-dev] running headless

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Oct 25 01:36:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 07:39:59PM -0500, Mark Volkmann wrote:

> So my script runs now, but even with -headless it displays the Squeak
> splash screen and the VM never exits. I have to manually kill the
> process. Is there something I should do at the end of my script to
> make it exit? It seems like with -headless it should always exit when
> it reaches the end of the script.

Just add this to the end of your script:
    SmalltalkImage current snapshot: false andQuit: true.

Or, if you want more of a brute force exit, you can use this:
    SmalltalkImage current quitPrimitive.

While you are at it, take a few minutes to read the #snapshot:andQuit:embedded
method. This is where the magic occurs that permits you to save an
image and restart it exactly where you left off. Interesting and well
worth reading.

Dave