[squeak-dev] running headless

Damien Pollet damien.pollet at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 13:00:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 5:47 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> The "-headless" option definitely works for the unix VM. I don't know
> about OS X or Windows.

There is also -nodisplay. From what I understand, -headless just
prevents the VM from opening its window (so you still need to run a
graphics server), and -nodisplay loads a dummy display plugin, so in
theory you don't even need the X11 libraries on the machine.

Now I'm also trying to run a headless image on linux, but nothing
happens. There is a WAKom + Seaside running in the image but it
doesn't listen. Since squeak doesn't give any hint of whichever state
it's in…
Only problem I see is that some plugins require X11 even though I ran
configure with --without-x, so at least there is a bug in the autoconf
scripts.
NB. The exact same image runs perfectly fine on Mac (headless or not).

--
Damien Pollet