[squeak-dev] iPhone 1.07

Mark Volkmann mark at ociweb.com
Tue Oct 28 10:46:08 UTC 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 2:10 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> Thanks john
>
> BTW I have a request for the mac VM
>
> Since I would like to use Squeak as a scripting language I would
> really like to be able to do
> 	squeak image file
> right now I have to pass the full pathname of image and file.
> Would it be possible to get that?

I would like that too! However, I think there are additional problems
with starting scripts on the Mac. Simple things that work for me under
Windows do not work on the Mac. When started this way on a Mac, at
least for me, Squeak doesn't respond to mouse events and doesn't run
the script. The GUI comes up, but that's it. I have to kill the process.

> Thanks
>
> Stef
>

> On Oct 28, 2008, at 1:08 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> I've push out an iPhone 1.07 VM.   http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/squeak.html
>>
>> This VM uses the latest core Pharo image.
>>
>> The VM has a number of changes to enable C data structure support
>> and code examples for
>> putting up a UITextEdit and UITextView for single and multiple line
>> textual input, along with
>> the ability to execute objective-c methods on the main thread
>> versus the squeak thread.
>> There is of course a new ObjectiveCPlugin for os-x users.
>>
>> For developers the key to getting a UITextEdit field to work is
>> that you *must* create the UITextEdit
>> thread on the main thread, otherwise if you create the object on
>> the squeak thread, then attempt to
>> use it for textual input on the main thread as per recommendations
>> it deadlocks on a semaphore when it
>> decides that the two process threads are different.
>>
>> Still to do is finishing the Keyboard entry logic, (oh I'm sure
>> just a few minutes should do it...). Then
>> I'll see if I can get a Menu control example working
>>
>> I've not included the VNC logic since I don't know if anyone uses
>> it, or if it can be integrated into the
>> Pharo image at this time, however I suspect someone will let me know.
>>
>> --
>> =
>> =
>> =