[squeak-dev] releasing apps.

Mark Volkmann mark at ociweb.com
Tue Oct 28 19:23:37 UTC 2008

Is there a web page that explains all those steps? This seems like a
common thing that someone new to Squeak is going to want to know
unless they are only writing software for Squeak users or only writing
web apps. I've seen some documentation on disabling "programmer
features" in Squeak that a user wouldn't need, but not a full
description of all the steps need to prepare a GUI application for
distribution.

Just yesterday a colleague of mine was mentioning how much he liked
Smalltalk, but never did much with it because he didn't know what to
do with the code after he wrote it. I really think this is a barrier
to entry and is possibly keeping a significant number of developers
from using Squeak.

I love Smalltalk syntax and the Squeak development environment, so I'm
all for reducing whatever barriers exist.

On Oct 28, 2008, at 1:58 PM, Steven W Riggins wrote:

> I highly suggest you do more than just slide your image over an
> image in one of these projects.
>
> You need to change the app extension and map your own extension on
> windows.  You need to build vms with your own icons included in the
> VM on windows.
>
> On the Mac, you need to supply your own icons and edit the plists so
> that they point to your own app's identifier, icons, get info data,
> etc.
>
> On Oct 28, 2008, at 11:18 AM, David Mitchell wrote:
>
>> The one-click image distros were based on these efforts. If you start
>> with one of them, you can just slide your image over the included
>> image and you have a bundle that works on Mac, Windows, and Linux.
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de
>> > wrote:

>>> Best is probably to look at some examples. The common way nowadays
>>> is to put
>>> the VMs and image into a directory structure that impara developed
>>> for
>>> deploying Plopp (planet-plopp.de). This can also be seen in action
>>> in Sophie
>>> (opensophie.org), Seaside (seaside.st) and Qwaq Forums (qwaq.com).
>>>
>>> - Bert -

---
Mark Volkmann