[squeak-dev] Re: Making a better Compiler for all

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 1 13:09:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 2:13 AM, Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com> wrote:

> No, you cannot remove Squeak's compiler and use only NewCompiler, if that
> would have been your question.

That was not really my question.

I thought that the purpose of the NewCompiler project was to replace
the old compiler.  Am I wrong?

If so, is this just another way of telling people to support the
NewCompiler project, or is it saying that we need a NewNewCompiler
project.

If not what is wrong with NewCompiler, and why can't it become the
standard Squeak compiler some day?

If you are saying we should all get behind NewCompiler, then we can
ask what needs to be done to finish it, but first I am asking whether
that is what you mean.

I've hacked the Squeak compiler a little and I think that everybody
who has done that will agree that it should be replaced.  As far as I
can see, the NewCompiler people have a good design, and it should be
possible use it in place of the old compiler, if not now, then with a
little more work.

-Ralph