[squeak-dev] Re: Making a better Compiler for all

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 21:08:30 UTC 2008

2008/9/1 Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:
> Please have a look at my closure compiler.  This puts bytecode generation
> into a separate class (a subclass of Encoder).

This is one of the things we really need to be decoupled.

> You can find the code on the download page of my blog.
> Marcus Denker and I are in agreement that we will merge my Closure compiler
> into Markus' NewCompiler "some time soon".
> The thought of a committee fills me with horror :)  I don't think we need
> anything so baroque :)

Well, i only hope, that you will not need to say to people words like:
'this stuff not working because you need my compiler to use it'.
Or words like: 'this stuff works only in mine fork'.
Maybe it is not hurts someone losing a potential contributors and
splitting community over and over. But i think having something in
common, like compiler is for best of all.
Maybe i'm not right - it is always easier to manage a small group of
contributors which never asking anyone's opinion how to do things, and
in result they deliver things like Morphic and Etoys (sorry :) which
nearly impossible to decouple from the rest of system, because
obviously no one thought about things like running squeak w/o Morphic
before.

And me, as a Squeak board member, as well as others were elected on
the wave of making Squeak having better modularity. The lack of
modularity in Squeak is one of the bigger issues in system, which
prevents it to be easily managed and adopted for different solutions.
One of the critical steps towards modularity is to make better,
modular compiler. Of course, we can wait a little and start using
NewSpeak, so there is nothing to do or worry about, isnt? ;)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.