[squeak-dev] Fwd: Chrome and V8

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 3 01:19:47 UTC 2008

On 2008 September 2, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2008/9/3 Dan Ingalls <Dan at squeakland.org>:
> > Avi wrote...
> >
> >>I've built this on Mac OS X and from some very simple
> >>micro-benchmarks, I'd guess its performance is on par with
> >>VisualWorks.  Very cool.
> >
> > Yes, "on a par".  Looks like 2-3x Squeak, but half of VW.
> >
> > It's definitely a real vehicle, and the crew behind it understands
> > modularity, processing and, should it ever be necessary, last-inch
> > optimization.
> >
> > Fun times!
>
> http://code.google.com/apis/v8/run.html
>
> FireFox - Score: 218
> Chrome - Score: 1984

Firefox 3.1 will also have significant Javascript optimization ("Tracemonkey")

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080822-firefox-to-get-massive-javascript-performance-boost.html

Sounds like it should be available in alpha soon, will be interesting how it
compares. Good competition and interesting times.

Milan