[squeak-dev] Using V8 for other languages

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Fri Sep 5 20:38:50 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Avi Bryant <avi at dabbledb.com> wrote:

> One interesting (if odd) just-released language that targets
> JavaScript is Objective-J: http://cappuccino.org/ .  It's a near clone
> of Objective-C (only without the C), that compiles to JavaScript on
> the fly in the browser.

What is the point of Objective-J?  I looked into it a while back and didn't
get it.  The only advantage I could imagine was being able to take some
Objective-C code and readily port it to Objective-J.  And perhaps the
familiarity of the syntax to people that already know Objective-C is worth
something.  But, in most respects, Objective-C is inferior to Javascript as
far as I can tell (for example Objective-C lacks closures).

- Stephen