[squeak-dev] Using V8 for other languages

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Fri Sep 5 23:59:47 UTC 2008

On Sep 5, 2008, at 9:49 AM, Colin Putney wrote:

> On 5-Sep-08, at 1:38 PM, Stephen Pair wrote:
>
>> What is the point of Objective-J?  I looked into it a while back
>> and didn't get it.  The only advantage I could imagine was being
>> able to take some Objective-C code and readily port it to Objective-
>> J.  And perhaps the familiarity of the syntax to people that
>> already know Objective-C is worth something.  But, in most
>> respects, Objective-C is inferior to Javascript as far as I can
>> tell (for example Objective-C lacks closures).
>
> I've never used Objective-J, so I don't know for sure, but one thing
> that I find attractive is that it introduces message sends. It's
> easy to forget, but object.doSomething() is *not* a message, it's a
> property access and function call. This causes real problems - see
> for example, all the advice against modifying the Object prototype,
> because it renders the for...in construct useless. If Objective-J
> solves that problem, it's valuable.

I'm not sure about that, but Objective-J does seem to be full
Javascript with Objective-C layered message sending and class model
above bare Javascript objects, so closures do seem to work, even if
the target audience of Objective-C programmers will probably fall back
on their usual idioms most of the time.

--
http://BrianTRice.com