[squeak-dev] Possible approaches for rendering in Morphic 3

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Sep 6 16:02:20 UTC 2008

Hi Matthias,

Matthias Berth wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> you write that you use nonlinear transforms to draw morphs. So every
> morph has its own nonlinear transform? For example, if I have a
> RectangleMorph then I could draw a bended version of it on the canvas
> by assigning some BendingTransform to the RectangleMorph?

Yes. Of course, linear transforms are allowed too.

> What if the same morph has to be displayed on multiple canvases?

Drawing in any canvas should look similar, i.e. the same transformations
would be applied. BTW, in the new approach to rendering, there is no
#drawOn: and no canvas (at least yet).

> Does a morph's transform have any consequence for the transforms of
> its submorphs?

Yes, the actual transformation for points in a morph includes all
changes in coordinate systems up to the world. (As it is with Morphic 2
in Squeak).

> As you might guess, I am not really familiar with the details of your
> design - though I just read
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_01.html :-)
>
> Cheers
>
> Matthias

Don't worry. I wrote little about it, and it is changing all the time.

Thanks for you interest!
Juan Vuletich