[squeak-dev] The state of Squeak I18n support: let's improve it

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Sep 6 20:24:25 UTC 2008

Am 06.09.2008 um 16:35 schrieb Katerina Barone-Adesi:

> I've tried using the OLPC VM [1] and
> http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-dev.zip (with all 239 updates).  The
> results are improved, but still mixed:
>
> What works:
> - dead keys (as long as I run squeak -vm-display-X11 -compositioninput
> etoys-dev.image).
>
> What half-works:
> - Japanese input.  I can type with Anthy+Skim and see hiragana
> correctly, but as soon as I press space or enter, everything but the
> first character turns into gibberish (not Kanji - accented Latin
> characters and unicode missing-character boxes).  I don't think it's a
> font problem, as it looks ok while I'm inputting it, and when I switch
> to Japanese, all of the menus show up properly in Japanese.
>
> What doesn't work:
> - Russian input.  It mainly shows unicode boxes as well,

Were the (few) translated strings correctly displayed in Cyrillic?
E.g., in the Supplies flap the book morph should be labeled
"книга".

If not, then the fonts on your system are not set up correctly (it
works fine on the XO). If the Cyrillic is shown there however then you
might have discovered a bug. Possibly there is a clash between unicode-
input and latin-5 or so ...

>  even if I
> change the font to Deja Vu (using World -> Open -> File List, loading
> the TTF, then World -> Appearance -> System fonts -> Code font, then
> opening a new workspace).

That is completely independent of Pango rendering. Pango fonts cannot
be selected explicitly yet. This stuff is brand new.

> Running with or without -encoding UTF-8 -textenc UTF-8 seems to make
> no difference.
>
> Also, oddly, there are many less language options: only German,
> English, Spanish, French, Japanese and Portuguese.  The rest have
> disappeared.

That is indeed odd. Apparently it does not find the .mo files in the
locale directory next to etoys.image.

> I've prepared a screenshot.  The result of typing using a Russian
> keymap is in the left workspace; the right one shows the result of
> typing in Japanese with anthy+skim.  The top two lines on the right
> are what happened after pressing enter; the properly-displaying
> hiragana are what I see while I'm still typing.
>
> Do you have any advice for how I can troubleshoot this and/or what I'm
> doing wrong?

Hmm. I'm not sure. The VM version is correct. You might try finding
out if the input or the rendering is broken - look at the code point
of the generated characters, and tey to construct a string to print
made for Cyrillic Unicode values.

- Bert -