[squeak-dev] Hobbes woes

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 09:46:39 UTC 2008

Dear list,

I'm trying to get Hobbes (as available from
http://wwwlehre.ba-stuttgart.de/~helbig/st80/hobbes) running with the
Apple Smalltalk image from the ESUG 2007 DVD. The Hobbes sources have
been filed into a Squeak 3.10.2 image.

Doing "SmalltalkEmulator openAPDAWith: InterpreterWorld" first
stumbles over two missing methods in SystemDictionary that are rather
trivial to provide, but then things break saying that
OrderedCollection class >> accumulatePairsForBecomeIn: is not
understood. That method is nowhere to be found in that image, and also
not in Squeak 3.6, which was, I believe, the version of Squeak Hobbes
was initially ported to.

What does it do? How could it be implemented?

In other words: has anyone successfully started Hobbes in (recent or
less recent) Squeak?

Best,

Michael