[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] September 2008 versions

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 10 14:39:43 UTC 2008

> Damien, please look longs reports on Mantis , mainly by Jerome, some by
> Ralph and some from me about the chaotic state of Fonts , StrikeFonts and
> TTFFonts, before pointing finger to working people.

Damien was not pointing figures at anybody.

People reported a problem.  Damien is trying to produce a distribution
that is reliable.  In general, he is limited to deciding which
packages to include.  He is not going to fix bugs himself, he is going
to pass on bug reports to others.  I am sure that Damien knows that
problems are often not due to any one package, but to a combination of
them.  But, if the only thing that he can do is to pick which
packages, he has to fix problems by throwing out a package, and
naturally he will think of that package as the buggy one even if the
fault is shared.

Damien ought to have a high standard.  This implies that he will not
include packages that he thinks are buggy.  Of course, he should
explain why he is doing things so that other people can point out
mistakes that he makes.  Perhaps a package that he thinks is buggy is
not really buggy.  Perhaps the author of the package can fix it.
Perhaps somebody has a different version of the package that is not
buggy.

You say he is pointing fingers because he says that he thinks a
package is buggy.  But the only alternatives are to 1) take every
package even if he thinks it is buggy or 2) refuse a package and not
say why.  Both of those alternatives are worse.  He needs to have
standards and explain the decisions he makes.  As long as he listens
to other people (and he has always done a great job of it) then this
should work fine.

-Ralph