[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] September 2008 versions

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Wed Sep 10 19:14:43 UTC 2008

Hi Damien,

Damien Cassou wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:
>
>> Damien Cassou wrote:

>>> I already reported some problems to Juan. He didn't want to fix one of
>>> them: the problem with the Tools flap displaying unreadable captions.
>>> If you could provide a package which works well, I would certainly
>>> include it.
>>>
>> Damien, I don't think it is fair to say that the problem in the Tools flap
>> means NiceFonts is buggy.
>>

> Hi Juan,
>
> you are right, it was not fair. I know that Squeak has different
> problems and you did your best to make NiceFonts "just work". I
> apologize. However, there is still a problem with the tools flap and
> users complain. There is also a problem with composite window managers
> on Linux which prevent Squeak from being used on such systems and it
> seems to be related to the installation of NiceFonts (I haven't
> checked that).

I'm glad we agree. Thank you.

More about the flaps below.

WRT composite window managers on Linux, it seems I need to make sure the
alpha channel is set to 1.0. I'll do it. I'll need help with testing it,
though.
>> [...]
>> Also, I don't think it is fair to complain of me not wanting to fix it. I'm
>> not the maintainer of Flaps! The bug is there! If there is no maintainer of
>> Flaps, or nobody wants to fix it, just use a 1bpp StrikeFont or perhaps a
>> TTFont for #standardEToysFont (see options 1 and 2 in quoted text).
>> BTW, keep in mind that NiceFonts does not preclude the use of either 1bpp
>> StrikeFonts, TTFonts, or any other font that might be present in the image.
>>

> I don't understand anything about these problems and solutions.
> Someone else has to do it :-(.

Then I wasn't clear enough and I apologize. The script you use to load
NiceFonts code sets some default fonts in Squeak to use NiceFonts.
Where you do something like

Preferences setDefaultFonts: #(
				(setSystemFontTo: 'Vera' 10)
				(setListFontTo: 'Vera' 10)
				(setEToysFontTo: 'Vera' 10)
				(setPaintBoxButtonFontTo: 'Vera' 10)
				(setMenuFontTo: 'Vera' 12)
				(setBalloonHelpFontTo: 'Vera' 10)
				(setCodeFontTo: 'Vera' 12)
				(setButtonFontTo: 'Vera' 10))].

just remove the #setEToysFontTo: line. Then, the Etoys font (used for
the flaps) will be the same as it was without NiceFonts. It is not a
real fix, but a workaround.

An alternative you (or anyone using your images) can do is as follows:
1) Open the World Menu / Appearance / system fonts / eToys font...
2) Select a different font. Either 1 bit or TTFont (i.e. any font but my
Vera).
3) Recreate the flaps. I really don't know too much about them, but
changing the font for window titles will recreate them:
    Open the World Menu / Appearance / system fonts / window-title font...
    select anything but the current one

 The real fix would involve the flaps code I said before. I believe not
using niceFonts at one place is better than not being able to use them
at all.
>> WRT performance issues, please send me a comparison with actual numbers.
>> Rendering 32bpp StrikeFonts should take exactly the same time as rendering
>> TTFonts (the code is almost identical).
>>

> I will if I manage to reproduce it but I'm not sure it was due to
> NiceFonts after all.

Ok.
>> At last, let me state that I will do my best to fix any bugs found in
>> NiceFonts, as I'm already doing. I use it all day long in my image, and it
>> is part of at leas one commercial product now.
>>

> Ok, thank you very much. I really apologize.

Thanks. We're cool then!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich