Problems with NiceFonts and composite window managers Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] September 2008 versions

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Sep 12 05:39:57 UTC 2008

Damien Cassou wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:
>
>> Another workaround is to do
>>   Prederences setPreferencesFrom: #((subPixelRenderFonts false))
>> This will turn off subpixel rendering, using only gray levels for AA. This
>> uses BitBlt rule 34, that does not have this problem.
>>

> Thanks for the report. Do you recommend me to do that on all dev
> images? What are the cons?

The cons is that it won't use subpixel rendering anymore. Only gray
level. To my eyes, subpixel rendering is mandatory. Without it, fonts
look horrible to me. But it is a personal preference. I'd leave it on.
Others might disagree.

BTW, where I wrote "Prederences" it should read "Preferences"!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich