[squeak-dev] Re: Troubleshooting and/or recovering from VM hang?

pbpublist (gmail) pbpublist at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 06:31:37 UTC 2008

Jerome,

Thanks for the information-packed reply.  I'll also send a private
email with a couple of attachments (a screenshot and the .pr file) as
to not congest the list, but what I did was pretty straight-forward...

On Sep 14, 2008, at 10:26 PM, Jerome Peace wrote:

> Next steps:
> Describe exactly how to recreate the problem from a fresh 3.10.2 image
> (what did you load/change etc)

I'm attempting to load a rather old Morphic project file (obtained
from http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1773) which results in the error:
1) From a vanilla 3.10.2 image, it doesn't hang but rather appears to
crash (pops up a *** System Error handling failed *** window)
2) From the latest vanilla developer image from http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html
  (which is what I was running) I get the hang.

> The tail of changes files will help remind you.
> I find it helpful to search down to the name of my disk drive (which
> is somewhat unique).
> That demarks where the system stuff ends and my own modifications
> begin.
>
> Troubleshooting:
> Look for packages you loaded that were meant for 3.8 or earlier.
> Look in the image for senders of the offending message
> #addedOrRemovedSubmorph:

Am I correct in assuming this information wouldn't be relevant since I
can reproduce with standard images?

> The vm is probably doing what it ought but everytime the image tries
> to raise a debug window
> it is probably running into the DNU which causes an infinite debug
> loop.

Just curious... DNU?

> That debug malbehavior is high on my desirable targets list for bug
> repair.
> It hasn't been tackled yet because I have no idea where to look.
> Maybe, if we get lucky, someone with more experience will drop a clue.

> hth,
>
> yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace

Thanks,
Phil