[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] SqueakSVN

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Wed Sep 17 05:47:35 UTC 2008

Keith Hodges wrote:
> Git isnt the only game in town, there is also Mercurial and Bazaar.
> Having tried both I prefer Bazaar. Its windows support is great.
>
> I version control my images using Bazaar. We could improve the image
> format to ensure that diffs work efficiently. I tried normalizing object
> pointers to a known base address as a starting point. However we could
> be cleverer I think. (One of the Bazaar devs is a squeaker)

Changing the base address might make loading slower.

Git has filters that allow one to perform bidirectional transforms
between the data that is on disk and the data that is in the working
tree.  People have used to store openoffice files uncompressed, so that
diff works on them too.

Do Mercurial and Bazaar have anything like that?

Paolo (who uses git for GNU Smalltalk)