[squeak-dev] MonticelloConfiguration and Installer questions

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Thu Sep 18 12:28:39 UTC 2008

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Hehe, that attitude pretty much drove MCConfiguration development :)
> It's TSTTCPW and just gets the job done it was needed for, but as you
> noticed it isn't well-integrated, it does not do autmatic versioning.
> But I like its simplicity - it really is nothing more than a list of
> package versions and repositories.
>
> - Bert -

:-) MCConfiguration is working /very/ well for me.  It is a nice
incremental improvement over my manual process.  I'm not using the
"Store" capability in the configuration browser, though, because it will
quickly make a mess of my MC repository browser (I've already got too
many packages to scroll through there).  It seems more sensible to write
my configs to disk during deployment so I can "version" them by release
number.  I assume that's what most people are doing?  ...or is there a
sensible way to use them in a MCBrowser that I've just missed?  Maybe a
naming convention that makes the MC browser show only one package entry
per config (as opposed to per /instance/ of a config).

David