[squeak-dev] Interesting news re Dolphin ST

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Sun Sep 28 06:12:07 UTC 2008

Avi Bryant wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Joshua Gargus <schwa at fastmail.us> wrote:
>

>> For my personal Squeaking, of course I wouldn't pay for ICC.  But if someone
>> is working for a company whose product is performance sensitive, why
>> wouldn't they spend a few hundred dollars to improve performance as much as
>> $10000s of engineering effort would, especially if it reduces
>> time-to-market?
>>

> Maybe I missed this, but - is there anything stopping someone from
> freely distributing binaries of Squeak that have been compiled with
> ICC?

IANAL, but no.

Here are the Intel tool page and the license agreement:
http://www.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/index.htm
http://www.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/346084.htm

The license doesn't talk about your code, only the materials that you
obtained from Intel.  An exception is the non-commercial license, so if
Squeak.org decided to provide an ICC-compiled binary, we'd either have to:
- clearly state that it's not for commercial use, or
- cough up the money for licenses for the VM maintainers

Josh