[squeak-dev] Etoys Tiles

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 19:33:26 UTC 2008

>Hi Kemal,

>it's part of the Etoys philosophy to have only a single class of player.
For example, you can change the costume (the morph) of a player dynamically,
so the player needs to have the vocabular to serve all the >different
costumes it could wear. This would break if you create specialized
subclasses of Player.

>Btw, in Smalltalk adding extension methods to other classes is not
considered as "intrusive" as in other languages.

>Hth,

>- Bert -

I don't understand. What is the best option for making morphs scriptable?
1. Extend Player
or
2. Create a subclass of Player and add the method #newPlayerInstance to the
morph which returns the correct instance of Player (DiceMorph and
CalculatorMorph do this)

What problems could cause the second option?
Bye