[squeak-dev] how to create an UTF-8 character

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue Sep 30 01:07:00 UTC 2008

At Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:24:36 -0700,
Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> >> I'm trying to really understand in Squeak. :)
> >> What we call character is what then?
> >> Is it a codepoint? or the looked up glyph in a font table?
> >>
> > I don't know. I've never dealt with how squeak does those things
>
> A character represents a single code point.

  This I would like to be philosophically false, but Unicode decided
that is the way it is.  We use Unicode for part of the representation,
but we can have different philosophy there.

>  A font maps code points to glyphs.

  And the trouble is that "a font" cannot really map to glyphs to what
the users want and we need additional information.

  IOW, if we follow the philosophy of "a character is a code point and
a font maps to glyph", we should not be able to print-it "a codepoint"
in a workspace.  I am not sure that the Squeak community would like to
go all the way like that.

-- Yoshiki